Tuesday 15 April 2014

Lemon and rhubarb bundt cake with strawberry glaze






I saw this beautiful rhubarb in a veg shop and I decided I had to buy it.. I wasn't really sure what I would make with it…  after all it is Easter this weekend so I thought a bundt cake it the best option.. this is how I made this light and moist bundt cake with rhubarb, lemon and sticky strawberry glaze and to be fair I don't think I could have chosen a better cake I couldn't choose a better cake!


Ingredients:

For the cake:
  • 3 cups plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp bicarb. of soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1tsp vanilla paste or pod
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 2 cups rhubarb (washed and chopped into 1/2cm chunks)
For the glaze:
  • 200g strawberry jam
Mix both sugars, oil, eggs, vanilla and apple sauce in a large bowl until combined, then add all dry ingredients and lemon zest and mix just until combined.  

Add 1,5 cup of rhubarb and stir into the mixture.

Pour the mixture into a large greased bundt tin (10cups/ 2.4l) and sprinkle remaining rhubarb on top. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for about 50 minutes, or until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Leave to cool a little in the tin, then turn it out and leave to cool completely.

Warm up the jam in a small saucepan, brush over the cake.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment